Sunday, February 13, 2005

Pink Floyd Has Returned

On Friday I received a package in the mail. It contained half of my Pink Floyd box set, one roll of developed pictures and a note that must have been written about 2 years ago by the context. It was from a friend I have not spoken to in about a year and a half. I was friends with this girl for a good 5 years. She was not the ideal friend. She had issues and rubbed many people the wrong way. I admit she got on my nerves frequently but I knew her past and why she was this way. She was the girl that required alot of attention and measured her worth by others. She could be petty and treated people differently to their face than behind their back. She had a big jealous streak and was possessive of me friendshipwise.

She could also be very sweet and loyal. She was not afraid to stick up for me and was a good listener even if her advice was often biased to benefit her. She was creative and original and a true music fan.

You may wonder why I would waste time on such a person. I guess in the beginning it was just fun. Later on it was out of habit and her persistence for us to remain close. And honestly when there was no one else around and nothing to prove, she was a blast. We sort of ended our friendship with a two week cross country road trip. It was after this trip that she borrowed my Pink Floyd. The trip was a blast but I will admit as usual she got on my nerves. A couple months after the trip I began dating my now fiancee and father of my daughter. My friend had casually dated him for about a month that previous summer. She described him as fat and not good enough for her. Actually I found out later that she had called him unusually frequently and was frustrated by his lack of response.

After a month of dating my now fiancee I realized that I really liked and cared for him. I told her of the relationship assuming she would not care because of how she spoke about him and the amount of time that had gone by since they dated. She pretended she didn't care and told me I would probably get an STD. After that we didn't really talk much. When she found out I was pregnant through a mutual friend, she called me. I could tell it was just because she wanted to confirm it. She acted as though we were still great friends and and I was happy about it. All this time I had been asking her to return my Pink Floyd and pics from our trip. Following this call I must have called her ten times asking again. Finally I realized I would never get it.

Then two days ago, here it is. She had apparently called my Mom for my address and phone #.
Why would she return it now? With a note that was obviously written 2 years ago by the content? Why no new note? Why no acknowledgement of my baby? She had never even called to see if I was OK or my baby was OK? Is this because she wants to make contact again? Is she just trying to do the right thing? Were the CDs cluttering up her apartment? I guess I should be thankful she finally returned them and I guess I really don't care why.

It is strange how people wander in and out of your life. Sometimes you don't even hear them leave.

4 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Blogger deahsella said...

Very interesting. ;-) Remember, I think you called her to not only tell her your own news but also that I was engaged? And that so was...oh, what's his name, the guy that worked in the film equipment room? The two year old note is very odd, though.

I have an ex-boyfriend who, about once a year or so, tries to get in touch with me. He owns my dog's sister, and has asked if I want to "take the dogs for a walk." Like old times. WHAT?!? As if nothing has changed? I'm actually kind of scared of him, but that's a whole other story. :-)

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Maggie Moo said...

Yeah, that's right. I forgot about the engagement news. This was just bizarre.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the lack of new note is so strange. maybe she packed up the package 2 years ago, sealed it, and just couldn't bring herself to send it. and then one day was just like what the hell, off it goes...
who knows?
this also reminds me, i have some old pictures of yours that i borrowed like sophmore year to make copies of. i need to send them to you, but i'll write a note now, seal them up, and wait 4 or so years to send them to you. it'll be like a time capsule!!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Maggie Moo said...

that would be awesome! make sure the note is written on the back of a receipt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home