Monday, January 22, 2007

School is slow going. This is my second week of classes and I feel like I have been at it forever. Two of my classes seem like they might be interesting and worthwhile this semester so that is exciting. The year has started off fairly well. I have decided to have a positive outlook and stress as little as possible. No more freak outs...or at least keeping the freak outs to a minimum. Steven actually sat me down and gave me a pep talk last week. I must be a real nut when school is in session.
Anyway, Steven has also started his crazy class for his crazy 8 hour engineer exam. And Ava has started tumbling class. It is really cute and she loves it. Who knew you could get so excited about the crab walk and frog pops?
Our community service project for the the Graduate Social Work Association (I'm VP) is to solicit donations from local businesses and private citizens for The Greenhouse, which is the Meadville women's shelter. I am pretty excited about the project eventhough it will entail more work than last semster's kettle ringing and angel tree. Since my thesis is on rural domestic violence, I have more insight into the people we will be helping which makes me want to work harder. I don't hold out any unrealistic hopes about what we will get donated because in this small town as in many small towns gender based abuse is not always considered a problem. My supervisor at United Way is actually told she is not allowed to discuss women's services when she does presentations at some of the local factories. Crazy. Anyway, let's hope we have some good luck with this project.

2 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

being calm is totally one of my goals for the year too. i desperately need to work on it.
i can't believe that nonsense that they don't think gender based abuse is a problem, what year is it?!?!?!
did you see north country? it's so good, all about women getting equal rights in a coal factory.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Maggie Moo said...

yes i saw it. i thought it was good too. this is just small town america. i don't think we are unique.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home